Yuri’s Night is the World Space Party. We hope to see you dream, explore, and celebrate with us at the hundreds of YN events held around the world each April. Every April 12th we bring the world together to dream about where we’re going, explore where we are, and celebrate where we’ve been. (dates may be adjusted to the closest weekend)
“Circling the Earth in my orbital spaceship I marveled at the beauty of our planet. People of the world, let us safeguard and enhance this beauty — not destroy it!”
— Yuri Gagarin, 1st human in space.
NSS-NT is proud to participate in Yuri’s Night in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area of Texas. Each year, we’ll have local events to celebrate the first man in space.
About Yuri’s Night
Yuri’s Night is a global celebration of humanity’s past, present, and future in space. Yuri’s Night parties and events are held around the world every April in
commemoration of Yuri Gagarin becoming the first human to venture into space on April 12, 1961, and the inaugural launch of the first Space Shuttle on April 12, 1981.
Yuri’s Night events combine space-themed partying with education and outreach. These events can range from an all-night mix of techno and technology at a NASA Center, to a movie showing and stargazing at your local college, to a gathering of friends at a bar or barbecue.
In 2011, the 50th anniversary of human spaceflight, over 100,000 people attended 567 officially-recognized events in 75 countries on all 7 continents, while tens of thousands more watched the 12-hour live Yuri’s Night Global Webcast and participated online in the virtual world of Second Life.
Since 2001, Yuri’s Night has:
- Featured talks and presentations by Ray Bradbury, Will Wright, George Takei, Richard Garriott, Anousheh Ansari, and many others
- Been celebrated at the South Pole, Hayden Planetarium, and in orbit on the International Space Station
- Planted hundreds of “moon trees” around the world in collaboration with American Forests
- Received the “Best Presentation of Space” award from the Space Frontier Foundation
- Trained the next generation of space leaders for organizations such as the National Space Society, Virgin Galactic, and Space Florida
The mission of Yuri’s Night is to use the excitement and inspiration of space as a catalyst for educating and developing the next generation of explorers. We fulfill this mission through a commitment to:
- empowering leaders: in making a difference, pursuing their dreams, and inspiring others to do the same.
- building communities: working shoulder to shoulder on visionary projects, overcoming barriers and finding common ground.
- bridging cultures: be they geographic, social or technical, we are all learning to speak each other’s languages.
- encouraging science literacy: bringing people hands-on experiences and passionate storytelling to explore their physical world and nurture their love of learning.
- promoting a sustainable and peaceful future: sharing “the Overview Effect” with all people, inspiring them to take ownership of our home planet and the future of humanity.
Yuri’s Night in DFW
April 11, 2015, we celebrated Yuri’s Night at the Noble Planetarium in Ft. Worth, TX.
April 2012, Bedford Library with poetry readings, cake and goodies.
For more images from that event, join our NSSNT Yahoogroup.
Yuri’s Night Links & Downloads